Friday, August 25, 2006

Jane Austen Last Line Quiz

Today is the last day of our mini-course so I am finishing up with a quiz! Thank you all very much for participating. I hope you have enjoyed the course and found some of the ideas thought-provoking. I certainly have and am looking forward to rediscovering my Jane Austen collection.

Which books do the following last lines come from?


“The wishes, the hopes, the confidence, the predictions of the small band who witnessed the ceremony, were fully answered in the perfect happiness of the union.”

“To begin perfect happiness at the respective ages of twenty-six and eighteen, is to do pretty well; and professing myself moreover convinced that the General’s unjust interference, so far from being really injurious to their felicity, was perhaps rather conducive to it by improving their knowledge of each other and adding strength to their attachment, I leave it to be settled by whomsoever it may concern, whether the tendency of this work be altogether to recommend parental tyranny or reward filial disobedience.”

“Sir James may seem to have drawn a harder lot than mere folly merited. I leave him therefore to all the pity that anybody can give him. For myself, I confess that I can pity only Miss Mainwaring, who coming to town and putting herself to an expense in clothes, which impoverished her for two years, on purpose to secure him, was defrauded of her due by a woman ten years older than herself.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home